Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Good Morning


I love mornings, not so much because I have to get up, but
because I love to talk to the Lord first thing. It is really almost
automatic these days. But I already know Jesus is with me
whether or not I ask Him. It is not like He needs to be reminded
that we are here counting on His love and protection. It is more
for me.


Morning prayer helps me to begin the day with focus, my
heart in the right place—on Him! He certainly has me covered,
but I can so quickly be overwhelmed with the day’s
responsibilities; with the seemingly endless list of things I
need to do; as well as problems I face as a husband, father,
grandfather, and business owner. I need to remind myself that
my steps are ordered by Him. This is a great help to the rest of
my day!


How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O
God! How vast is the sum of them! If I should
count them, they would outnumber the sand.
When I awake, I am still with You. (Ps. 139:17, 18)
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus
Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all
comfort, who comforts us in all our affliction so
that we will be able to comfort those who are in
any affliction with the comfort with which we
ourselves are comforted by God. For just as the
sufferings of Christ are ours in abundance, so also
our comfort is abundant through Christ.
(2 Cor 1:3-5)


for it is God who is at work in you, both to will
and to work for His good pleasure
. (Phil. 2:13)


When I think about the troubles facing me during the day, I
remember that I gave them to Him first thing in the morning.
That makes it easier to just thank Him for already working on
behalf of my concerns. I can more easily keep a good attitude
and positive prayer focus. My life’s journey has been a journey
of brokenness, of discovering my limitations, my human frailty.
I know few men like to talk about their weaknesses or human
frailty, but I have found that simple humility prevents a whole
lot of grief! I do not have to show off for anyone. I don’t have
to prove anything. I know who I am. More importantly, God
knows who I am and He is my strength, my balance, my
confidence during troubling times.


Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty
hand of God, that He may exalt you at the proper
time, casting all your anxiety on Him, because He
cares for you
. (1 Peter 5:6, 7)


Corrie Ten Boom always said there were no red flashing
lights in heaven, no emergency lights or sirens—that gives me
such comfort. God sees what is coming from miles away. If He
lets them come, I can handle them. At least, that is what I keep
telling myself when something really troublesome comes my
way! I know that He is in charge in my mind; but, getting that
truth into my heart and daily life is another thing altogether.
That takes time, patience, and the knowledge of His Word. His
greatest desire is for us to be like Him, to prosper in every way,
to live in peace. The Bible gives us all we need to find this way
of life for ourselves and for everyone we are praying for. This
Christian is dynamic, compelling, and fulfilling. He has not
made it difficult. He has made it as simple as possible.


Come to me, all who are weary and heavy-laden,
and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you
and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in
heart: and you will find rest for your souls. For
My yoke is easy and My burden is light.
(Matt 11:28-30)


I have learned that we are the ones who make it so difficult.
We put burdens upon ourselves and others that God never
intended. When I begin to feel that the responsibilities of life
are more than I can bear, it is probably because I have taken on
a burden that only He can carry.
So, I try to keep my prayers in line with what God has
promised (which is more than I can ever imagine) and what I
think I can handle (which is not much). I keep my heart as soft
as I can and my spirit free from unforgiving and anything else
that can fog up my relationship with Him. There is nothing
more certain on this earth than trusting in the goodness of God
and His never-ending desire to care for us.


To sum up, all of you be harmonious, sympathetic,
brotherly, kindhearted, and humble in spirit; not
returning evil for evil or insult for insult, but
giving a blessing instead; for you were called for
the very purpose that you might inherit a
blessing
. (1 Pet 3:8, 9)


Yes, I am not really a morning person, but meeting with
Jesus first thing in the morning certainly gives me something
exciting to look forward to as I wake up. Asking Him to launch
my day gives me a peace and a confidence that can come no
other way.