Monday, July 16, 2012

Alpha and Omega

Spiritual reality has this outstanding characteristic, that it bears no mark of time. The time factor vanishes the instant you touch that reality. From the human point of view there is such a thing as prophecy, but from the Divine viewpoint no such thing exists. "Thou art my son; this day have I begotten thee" (Ps. 2.7). With God it is always "this day." Our Lord says, "I am the Alpha and the Omega, the first and the last, the beginning and the end" (Rev. 22.13). He is both together, both at once. It is not that at one time He is first and at another time He is last. He is first and last simultaneously. Nor is it that having been Alpha for some time, He becomes Omega later on. to the contrary, He is Alpha and Omega from eternity to eternity. He is always first and last; and He is always Alpha and Omega. In the sight of man He is not Omega till He is manifested as Omega; but in the sight of God He is Omega now. With man, the past and the future are separate; with God they synchronize. The "I" of yesterday differs from the "I" of today; and the "I" of tomorrow differs further still. But "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, and today, yea and for ever" (Heb. 13.8). God is the eternal "I Am." It is here that the knowledge of God comes in.